Winter is here, and residents in the area are thinking about all of the ways that they can save money on heating costs during the season. Thankfully, there are things everyone can do to help maximize energy efficiency for the winter that can save a good deal of money on energy bills! It is important that you and your family are comfortable and safe through the winter months, but also that you keep as much of your hard-earned cash as possible. Listed below are five great tips to help you reduce your heating costs:
1) Have a programmable thermostat installed, or have the programming on yours checked. If you already have one, have us come out and make sure that the temperature is accurate, as well as the programming set up correctly. A programmable thermostat is designed to “set it and forget it,” so it shuts off automatically when you’re gone for work or after you usually go to bed, and to come back on when you wake up or come home from work. Studies show that by using these as designed, you can save up to $200 on heating bills.
2) Don’t ignore drafts in your home. It is surprising on how much energy is wasted by trying to make up for cold, drafty air that can creep into your home. Leaks and drafts can significantly impact your energy usage, making your furnace work more frequently and for longer run-times = costing you more money. Look for air leaks around pipes, your chimney, doors, and windows. Have us come out and talk about sealing these problem areas in your home – paired with other measures, the rebates for this can be worth thousands of dollars, in addition to saving you hundreds per year on utilities.
3) Have our technicians come and perform routine maintenance on your furnace at least once a year. Not only is this preventative, but it can cut the amount of energy that your furnace uses by up to 10%. Our experts will make sure that everything is in good, working order; and if there are any upcoming or existing problems, we will bring it to your attention. We can find issues that may be otherwise undetectable; preventing you from having to endure an emergency call during a cold spell. With your furnace in top shape, it will run as efficiently and as safe as possible, and last much longer before it needs to be replaced.
4) How long has it been since you have given the insulation in your home any thought? If it has been a few years, you may want to take a look at it – in your attic, in basement walls, and around your ducting. If it should be replaced, added to, or looks torn apart, be sure to give us a call. Insulation is one of the most important factors in determining how much energy it will take to keep your home comfortable. Loose-fill insulation is a popular option because it can be easily added, fills hard-to-reach places and corners, and is relatively inexpensive.
5) Have A-1 Guaranteed Heating & Air, Inc. come to your home and perform a home energy audit. Not only will you be able to see where the trouble spots in your home may be, but we will also make recommendations and offer solutions that fit your budget while improving the comfort and energy efficiency of your home. Contact A-1 today for all of your heating/cooling needs, and save big money on your utility bills!